Escondido Discovered in 1776 by Spanish explorer, Juan Bautista de Anza, Escondido became part of the Rancho Rincon del Diablo (the devil’s corner) land grant bestowed to Juan Bautista Alvarado in 1843 by Mexican Governor Manuel Micheltoren. By 1886, the Escondido Land and Town Company acquired the land grant and divided the valley into small citrus farms.
Settled in a long valley in the coastal mountains of Southern California, Escondido, which means “hidden” in Spanish, lies about 18 miles inland, 100 miles south of Los Angeles, and 30 miles northeast of San Diego. Escondido was incorporated on October 8, 1888 and currently has a growing population of 135,000 residents. In addition to having an attractive housing market with a wide range of prices, Escondido offers an array services and amenities such as the 8 parks, 2 lakes, golf courses, restaurants, wineries, shopping centers, world class healthcare, California Center for the Arts-Escondido, and nearby the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Garnished with avocado and citrus groves, Escondido is a well established city and growing community with “big city business” and a small town feel.